Friday, January 8, 2016

Resolutions

Every new years, we make resolutions -



"The winter's long I know your heart's beating in fear
So turn this record on and open up your ears
Summer's coming baby, this could be our year"

Why do we do it?  Why do you do it?


We all make resolutions. Some of them relate to our health and well being. Some of them are fiscal.  Some of them are long term goals. Some are short term goals. And some of them are just plain silly.


This topic was brought up on a fly fishing forum I participate on.   This got me thinking about my resolutions for thus upcoming year.


My resolutions for 2016 include - 

  • Getting back into shape.  At my current job, I spend 40+ hours a week at a desk. I've been sitting at the same desk for 4 years now. That's over 8000 hours of sitting on my butt for those that are counting.   This has definitely taken its toll. Also, I turned 30 this past December and metabolism is no longer on my side.  
  • Purchase my/our first home.  My girlfriend and I have been house hunting since the spring without much luck.  Hopefully our luck changes soon and we find a home we both can agree upon.

Being a fly fisherman, of course I have a few resolutions that relate to fishing.... 

  • Catch a wild rainbow. Granted this blog is called "Bluelines and Brookies", but catching a wild rainbow has been high on my "to do" list for a while now.  I've caught fingerling rainbows in the middle Yough, but never a truly wild stream born and bred rainbow.  I've done my research, Ive got some locations in mind, I just need to put in the time now.

  • Catch a Tiger trout.  Just like the wild rainbow, this has also been high on the list.  I need to locate more streams that hold both reproducing population of wild browns and wild/native brookies. 

  • Venture farther east and fish some limestoners. In western PA, we dont have any limestone streams (that I'm aware of at least).  The closest ones I do know of are located near Bedford.  Maybe this year I'll have the chance to venture to the Cumberland Valley or fish Breeches or who knows.
  • Find wild trout closer to home.  Ive been pretty successful at locating  native trout in western PA.  One problem, I have to drive well over an hour to get to them.  I either have to drive north of I80 and fish in and around Allegheny National Forest or I have to travel east to the Laurel Highlands. I've fished 1 stream within an hours drive of me that contains a decent population of wild brown trout. I've yet to find native brookies close to home. My goal is to find water I can get to in a reasonable amount of time after work and fish. 
  • Lastly, I would like to spend at least one long (3 day) weekend hiking/fishing/camping with no distractions from the outside world. I planned on doing this this summer, but too many other things got in the way.  Hopefully 2016 is the year this happens.  


Ideally, if I can reach 2 of these goals, I'll be happy.


What are your resolutions? 

No comments:

Post a Comment